Academy Chronicle

5 Winter Book Recommendations

Books that will make you forget about the snowstorm outside.

Get into the mood of the winter season with some good books!

Wall Paper Stoci

Maeve McFadden, Managing Editor

As February continues with its cold, bitter days, nothing sounds better than staying inside at home with the heat on. Maybe you’re an outdoors person, or you really love playing soccer outside, but when the high temperature is 10 degrees, why take a chance on frostbite or venture onto your favorite soccer field has a sheet of ice? All of this is to say- why not stay home and read a book? To help you with the seemingly infinite choices of books to read, here are a few books that will capture your attention throughout the entire snowstorm.

The Final Empire (Mistborn Trilogy #1)  by Brandon Sanderson

Are you a fantasy lover, looking for a novel with an amazing plot, cast of characters and exceptional writing? Look no further than work by Brandon Sanderson, well known for his fascinating world-building skills. The Mistborn Trilogy is based on Allomancy, the magic of metals. Some people can only “burn” one metal, unlocking only one power- but a special few are able to use all the metals, and they are called “Mistborn.” In this world, ash falls from the sky and the evil Dark Lorde rules over everyone. Read about the encapsulating events that start with a troublemaker and a young apprentice. You won’t regret it.

Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson

Jenny Lawson has found a way to talk about her experiences with mental illness as crazy stories-stories made to make you laugh, but most importantly to make you feel like you’re not alone after all. From stories about her over-the-top Australian adventures to her smiling stuffed raccoon (her dad’s a taxidermist, it’s not that weird), to just ridiculous arguments she has with her husband, this book won’t fail to make you laugh. And at the end of the day, the point is not to hide your crazy, bizarre nature- but accept it and love it, nurture it until it is in full bloom for all to see.

An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir

This winter, get wrapped up in this fast-paced novel set in a world based on the Roman Empire. In the brutal Martial Empire, Laia, part of the Scholar (or slave) class, becomes a spy for the rebels in return for help from the rebels to rescue her brother, who was arrested for treason. Laia meets Elias, the military academy’s best soldier, but who really just wants to be free of the tyranny. Told in dual perspective, this story will make you furious at the terrible world inside the pages, but also provide some hope in the darkest spaces.

Endurance by Scott Kelly

Have you ever wondered what it’s like to live in space for a year? Or, just what it’s really like to be an astronaut? I’ve always thought astronauts were childhood prodigies, destined for greatness. Scott Kelly was a below-average high school student and was kicked out of college when he realized his passion was to become a pilot and then worked tirelessly in the Air Force. Throughout this memoir, Kelly gets into the nitty-gritty aspects of what life on the ISS was like- from the CO2 ventilator, to how they exercise, and it was truly fascinating to realize what his life was like for a year. I highly recommend this book if you are interested in space, or if you want to learn about something totally out of the ordinary.

And I Darken (The Conqueror’s Saga #1) by Kiersten White

And I Darken is dark, gritty and compelling, and will pull you into its darkness. It’s set in Transylvania, specifically in a fictional country called Wallachia, during the height of the Ottoman Empire. Lada Dragwyla, a brutal, furious and totally amazing princess, and her gentle brother Radu were taken from their homeland Wallachia to be raised in the Ottoman courts. Lada hates the Ottomans and plans for her vengeance- Radu wishes for a place to feel safe. This book is about power, and how it can be manipulated, what it means to be a woman and fighting to be what you want, and you won’t want to put it down.

About the Writer
Maeve McFadden, Managing Editor

Hi, my name is Maeve McFadden and I'm currently a junior in AAST at BCA. I've been a part of the paper for 3 years now and I love writing. In my free time,...