The student news site of Bergen County Academies

Academy Chronicle

A Trump Presidency and America

AP

AP

On November 8, 2016, the historic presidential election finally happened. If anything, the final result did justice to the chaotic, intense and emotionally exhausting experience that was this election process. In the past year, the country was split apart by die-hard supporters of both candidates and political conversation more often than not consisted of derogatory invective. The election is over now, and, though the results may not have been the expected at BCA, they must be accepted. It is our democratic process at work.

It is well known that BCA is majority liberal, due to the mock election in the beginning of November that showed Hillary favored by over 70% of BCA students. However, students of both political parties had strong feelings about the election. Hailey Shewprasad said she “did not think that Trump was serious about the election and thought he was going to drop out and never expected him to win.”

On the other hand, conservative Lariana Cline, freshman, said she “expected Trump to win, because (she) saw him getting everyone all excited.” She said that she had never particularly cared about politics until he ran for President and she was drawn to him. When asked about her initial reaction to the election results, she said “I was really happy, but I was also surprised, because I thought that Hillary Clinton’s been in the system so long, she probably should have won.”

The valued and trusted New York Times for many liberals wrote on the day of the election that Hillary Clinton had an 85% chance of winning the election. Many of the major news sites followed the same pattern, leaning their predictions significantly to Clinton. Any news source that predicted Trump’s win was either mocked or ignored.

Trump accepting his election into office on the night of his win.

As a country, we could focus on how the media managed to predict the results so inaccurately, or we could accept the fact of Trump’s win and begin to understand what it will mean for America. For many Hillary supporters, the victory of Trump seems to be a low point in contemporary America. Many worry that with Trump as President and a Republican Congress, many of his ideas will become reality.

Yet while it may seem like everything is leaning in Trump’s direction, he will meet resistance in Congress. Many of his views don’t even align with those of the conventional GOP, and there are some Republican members of Congress that hold personal grudges against him, like Ted Cruz. Also, he can only follow through with plans like building a wall with a green light from Congress. Some of his other promises, such as repealing ObamaCare and cutting taxes, will also need to pass through Congress.  

On immigration, Trump claims he won’t be deporting all illegal immigrants. Instead, he will focus on deporting illegal immigrants with criminal records. As for incoming immigrants, he says he will “suspend immigration from terror-prone regions where vetting cannot safely occur.”  He is still pushing for the wall on the border of the USA-Mexico border, but has not given specifics on how he plans to pay for it or create it.

Some other of his major plans include reforming Washington by imposing term limits on members of Congress. As for trade policy, Donald Trump has stated America may not protect its allies if the allies have not fulfilled their “obligations” in the alliance. He is specifically talking about NATO and how the U.S. is losing money by funding NATO and other countries who aren’t reciprocating. Again, this is not something he can singlehandedly address. Congress and the courts will all have a say.

As for environmental issues, Trump claims he will erase any headway Obama made. He will be cancelling billion dollars in payments to climate change programs and will start working on making sure the Keystone Pipeline becomes a reality, an issue that environmentalists have fought tooth and nail to prevent from continuing. Even in the build up to Trump’s presidency, as he has been picking his cabinet members, they still must be approved by Senate.  

Checks and balances are all in place in our democracy. Yet no matter who you supported going into this election, Trump won. That is an indisputable fact and, as Americans, we have to deal with it. These next four years will definitely be a time of change for America, and some think better and some think worse. Still, in order for our democracy to succeed we must in our fashion, stake our own positions, and work towards a future that we believe is in the best interest of all. In the next presidential election, all of the current students at BCA will be able to vote. So pay attention to what happens in these next four years-and prepare to make your decision the decision you believe is best for the American people.